Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How to prep for surgery

Important: Follow all the directions, get your x-rays, your blood tests, your EKG, even go the extra mile and get an echocardiogram just to make sure your heart is pumping properly.

Rather important: Make plans for recovery and caretakers to wait on your every wish, providing you have any wishes beyond going to sleep until it's all over.

Most important: The do. I did the do as promised and the "new" me is posted. Not radical, but a nice little difference that should perk me up when I face the mirror.

Other things to plan: Unload the computer from work. Have a leisurely dinner (last decent food for awhile, remember). Remove tags from the recovery wardrobe freshly purchased from Walmart, easy enough since it's all sweats and tags are peel-off, then wash the clothes for packing when done. Take your shower, scrub your hip hide according to the disinfectant directions. Wash your hair, blow dry, and style if necessary because 4:30AM is no time to care about your looks. Make sure your phone is charged, your hospital reading material is packed and crawl in bed early with some kick-ass drugs to help you sleep. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Here's the reality: My daughter-in-law got in a sitter bind so I'm hosting a couple of grandkids. They got here just as I finished scraping some piles of snow from my walkway in order to get in the house after surgery. They were hungry. Beerma had to pee. Ran down to the bathroom, raced back upstairs to scour the freezer for kid food. I just realized I used two verbs that won't be part of my activities after tomorrow. Run. Race. Hah.

No chicken nuggets. No mac and cheese. They don't want peanut butter. I did find one kid's TV dinner and enhanced it with grapes, Cheetos and chocolate milk. Magic food. I even halved the stupid grapes and got the seeds out and promised Evan no cookie until he ate every single one of those damned things. I'm still irritated about the seeds. I thought I was buying seedless.

So it's 7:30, laundry still awaits, packing of some sort will happen, and if I get to bed by midnight, it means I can eat and drink right up to sleep time. Tomorrow is it. Folks at work were great today, wishing me well and even saying they'd miss me. The nice thing is, some of them really will.

Carly needs the Ninja costume zipped and Evan needs his butt wiped. Off to do my Beerma duty. And then see what I can find to eat.

I have an idea for my next post: Tara Trickery. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. I am probably too late to wish you good luck but know that we look forward to heaing from you in a few days. Don said to forget "tie" shoes for a couple of months.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will be fine! You will have a new hip today! I am praying for you and We will see you on saturday! I like your blog!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEERMA!!! The new 'do is stunning! Love it! At least when you awake from your narcotic induced post surgical sleep you can look in the mirror and think, 'God, my hair looks good!' We'll be over with wine and cribbage as soon as you're up for it. Let us know what you need.

    Your HUGE pregnant daughter-in-law (not to be confused with the skinny one)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about dropping the kids on you. But thanks for the butt wipe! They're with Grandpa & Anna today. I hear the surgery went well. Look forward to seeing you this weekend.

    -The not pregnant, mean daugher in law who dumps kids on you the night before major surgery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think it's not too late for both of us to do our recovering seaside with a couple cabana boys anticipating our every wish...here's to fully mended joints and uh, other areas.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second time I'm posting this. If it doesn't work you're out of luck. First off, to go through life without reading the words 'Beerma had to pee' would have truly been a travesty. Second, sorry to respond so late. I just signed up to follow your blog (and so much more no doubt) Shudder.

    Keep up the good work. The writing is strong although some the the tags are a bit much:)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete