Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rounding out the week

It's Saturday and I think I'll remember this one. Last Saturday was a blur of drugs, thankfully, and I did enjoy them as I was urged to do by one who's been here, done this. Thanks, Jan and Don for the card.

Flowers that I got from my dear friends Jane and Jerry are still brightening up my living room and mock the bitter cold a few feet outdoors. Hah. More than one way to beat the Iowa winter. Not quite as powerful a beating as escaping on a tropical cruise like my son Michael and his wife, Tracy, but me and my TED hose wouldn't be much of a draw on the beach anyway. And since I was asked, here's more than you need to know about TEDs:

TED stands for thrombo-embolism deterrent, among other variations, such as thrombosis-embolism deterrent. The stockings are used as a preventive measure against the formation of stationary blood clots (thrombosis) and blood clots which move (embolus).

Don't you feel enlightened now?

I'm also happy to report that the mystery of the strawberry-sender is solved. My son Joel jokingly told me, after reading my blog about receiving them and the surprise snow shoveler, that he actually sent a guy to do the shoveling and just had him bring the strawberries along for fun. So I thought he was kidding as he's known to do, but he wasn't. It doesn't change a thing. I still loved them, happy that I shared them with other women in his life - his sister, his sister-in-law, his Grammy - and still wish he'd been here to have some with me. Joel lives in Missouri, near KC, and he and his wife Amy are expecting their first baby in June.

Tomorrow's the red letter day for my son Jamie! He and his wife Sarah are having their boy by C-section around 7:30am if all goes as planned. I've seen 3-D ultrasound pictures and felt him kick and am so ready to hold him. If I'm this excited, imagine how they must feel. They were cleaning their house earlier, so I guess that means they're overcome with practicality. I'm glad that Beermas aren't bound to such mundane things as clean houses and being practical.

Time to grab a nap and dream up ideas for the next post. Any requests?

2 comments:

  1. Aunties get to enjoy new babies just as much as Beermas do; glad mine can wipe their own rear ends! Hanging out with my boys, wishing I were in a drug-induced fog...lol. Trying to stay with only ibuprofen during the day and my good stuff at night. By next Saturday we'll both be lucid; probably time for beers!
    Bethly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beat you to the booze, baby - had a glass of wine last night.

    ReplyDelete