Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Perfect timing

There's a new picture today. Note it well and eat your heart out. As for me, I'm going to cut the chocolate-covered strawberries into bite-size pieces and let the creamy deliciousness melt in my mouth before I savor the strawberry sweetness. I've already had one, four separate bites, and if you think that's fast, realize that I delayed long enough to take a picture of the arrangement before I indulged.

There's a story behind the strawberries. I was having a pity party for myself this morning. Boo-hoo, why do I have to be alone. Wah, it's so hard fixing my own supper. Dammitall, why do I have to make all these trips up and down stairs myself ... you can hear me, can't you? And then there's the snow blown across my sidewalks after yesterday's storm and no one volunteering to fix that for me. My daughter would, I know, but she's having a hysterectomy at noon so her day is tied up. My mother would, too, but that poor lady has enough trouble staying on her own two feet (she fell yesterday leaving my house). And how can I ask a 77-year old multiple-joint replacement woman to do what should come naturally to my whipper-snapper sons? In their defense, they're at work and would doubtless come over afterward, but the fact is the sidewalk was ankle-deep in snow when the Edible Arrangement gentleman stopped by with my fantastic - and anonymous - delivery a short time ago. He was so cheerful I forgot to feel sorry for myself, especially when I saw the goodies in the bag. And then he almost knocked my walker out from under me when he picked up a shovel and told me he'd take care of this snow. This man had never met me before, will probably never see me again, and I doubt he was looking for exercise (I'd guess his age at 70 or more), but he's etched himself forever in my Hippy Shake memory.

The person who sent the strawberries reads this blog and is firmly etched, too. The attached card was dedicated to "the reclamation of your chocolate habit with a little nutrition to boot." I love the sentiment as much as I love the taste treat. Well, almost as much. Thank you thank you thank you. If you want to stay anonymous, then I'll call the EA office and see if I can weasel a name from them. If you'd like to reveal yourself, I'm guessing you'll just confirm my suspicions. Either way, I sure wish you were here to share with me.

Another treat today: my friend and former co-worker Sherri is bringing lunch. In her honor, I got dressed up in clean sweats and a bra. I even put on some face paint. See the great lengths I'll go to for friends and food?

1 comment:

  1. If the gift was anonymous, then yes, I sent it. If you're still feeling sorry for yourself think of all the kiddies in Haiti. But wait, you'll probably begrudge them living on an island, even a decimated island, while you're trapped in the house in the dead of a never-ending Iowa winter nursing a bionic hip. You're right. Feel sorry for yourself.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete