Thursday, February 11, 2010

Nuts to peanuts

The Wolverine claw came today. I'm excited that I'll have the birthday present that Evan's been waiting on for months, but what a blow to eco-friendly. Not Evan's fault. No, the blame lies squarely with K-Mart. Get a load of the size of the box the claw came in compared to the size of the claw box itself. I could barely believe it when I opened the box and saw peanuts full to the edge!

Now, it's not like the claw, or maybe since it's causing me such consternation, I should call it The Claw, is made of fragile glass or ceramic material and must be protected. It's not like The Claw is of its own volition going to jump out of its confines and inflict lethal damage. It's not like The Claw needs so much protection in transit, more than that afforded a developing baby with amniotic fluid, I think. No, I think I know what it is. Whoever - or should that be whomever? whatever - boxed The Claw had a buttload of peanuts to dump and didn't want to pay the extra fee for disposal. This is free trade at its finest, don't you think? Pass the buck, even in peanuts.

Originally I planned to dump the peanuts in garbage bags (recycling crew won't take them), but after filling the one in the picture I realized it'd take five or six. So, given that half of what I tried to get in the bag ended up on the floor, I shoveled them back into the box. When I can drive again, I'm going to rip my name from the box and take this treasure out to K-Mart and let them have it. With a piece of my mind, maybe, providing there's any left after all these weeks of rattling around by myself all day.

Homemade beef/barley soup for supper and it smells darned good in here. That's my solace for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment